AHS Class of ‘79 Teaching Award

Swalve teaching award

The AHS Class of ‘79 Teaching Award recognizes one outstanding teacher from the Algona Community Schools each year. The award can cover one single academic year or their career as a teacher at Algona. Their outstanding contributions may include actions like developing a new program, personally motivating students, achieving greater professional standing, and going above and beyond their job description, just to name a few. 

Forms could be filled out by a student, parent, or colleague. Forms were available in the Algona schools’ offices or online. After reviewing all nominees, the final selection was made by the Class Fund Committee, with help from the Algona Community School Foundation.

This year’s winner was Ron Swalve, third grade teacher at Lucia Wallace.  Swalve has been a highly-effective third grade teacher for 24 years at Algona. In the nomination submitted for him, his talent for drawing out the best from his students was noted, “Ron Swalve was the teacher who provided a major turning point for my son in elementary school. My son did not have a great start to his elementary years; he often got the dreaded red stamp on his behavior chart and there were frequent office referrals. When he entered third grade with Mr. Swalve, I figured the year would go the same. Imagine my surprise when not only did the office referrals stop altogether, but my son actually started enjoying school! Mr. Swalve was the answer to this parent’s prayers. It took one teacher to have some patience for the way boys learn, and Ron Swalve provided that,” wrote his nominator.

Swalve was honored to receive the award. He states, ”I was part of an outstanding team. I have been so blessed to be in a great school system.” He also wants to thank all of the great kids, parents, and staff whom he has worked with over the years.

Swalve was recognized at the end of the year staff Zoom meeting on May 29th by Barb Teeter, Algona Community School Foundation representative. Swalve will receive an engraved bell and $200. His name will also be added to the plaque of winners, which is located in the Algona Community Schools’ Central Administration office.